PolaCon – the world’s first 3-day instant film photography convention – is back for year three! And nearly every event planned is still free to attend (with an RSVP). We’ve been looking forward to this year’s PolaCon since last year’s closing events!
What’s PolaCon like? Read this excellent, comprehensive recap of last year’s PolaCon! And here’s a fantastic, thorough recap of the first PolaCon. This year, PolaCon2018 (aka PolaCon3) convenes in Dallas on Friday and Denton on Saturday and Sunday, and the 3-day event will feature more than 20 workshops/sessions with guest speakers and photographers, an annual panel discussion dubbed "The State of the Emulsion Address,” a Zines & Things “swap meet” area, an instant film exhibition, pop-up galleries, an Instant Film Museum, 8x10 demos and a photobooth, as well as film- and camera-specific walks and meet-ups – in addition to more than five unique PolaWalks in distinctive, picturesque areas. As in year’s past, the finalized schedule will be posted a week before the convention and a limited number of printed programs will be available. Attendees should check the FB event page or Instant Film Society’s Instagram account and our website on the mornings of DAY I, II and III for any “official” last-minute additions, deletions or cancellations.
All of PolaCon is free to attend. However, some venues have limited “seats” or standing room, so most events will only be open to RSVP’d guests.
DALLAS—Friday, Sept. 28
- 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. – an “Instant Film 101 Workshop” covering all the films currently commercially available, hosted at Don's Used Photo Equipment. Open to the public; No RSVP required. A great spot for attendees to stock up before the State Fair. Don’s stocks several cool vintage Polaroid cameras, and plenty of instant film from Polaroid Originals and Instax to FP-100C. (Don’s is open until 6 p.m. on Friday for all your film needs.)
- 2 to 3:30 p.m. Deep Ellum PolaWalk [Check back for meet-up location.]
- 3:30 p.m. Deep Ellum meet-up & walk to Fair Park. Meet at 4 p.m. at Cold Beer Company at 3600 Main St, Dallas, TX 75226. Then at about 4:15/30 p.m. we’ll close our tabs and start walking to Fair Park for the big meet-up at Big Tex at 6:30 p.m. (This saves you $15-20 for parking near the fairgrounds.) Open to the public; No RSVP required. NOTE: On Friday, because it’s opening day, fairgoers who bring a full 20 oz. bottle of Dasani water (or any 20 oz. Coca-Cola product) for donation to the North Texas Food Bank can get in for only $9 on Opening Day.
- 6:30 p.m. The 7th Annual Rain-or-Shine #PolaWalk at The State Fair of Texas – The 7th Annual Rain-or-Shine #PolaWalk and Scavenger Hunt at The State Fair of Texas will officially start at Big Tex at 6:30 p.m. with a big group portrait. No RSVP required – just a ticket to the fair! The list for the State Fair Scavenger Hunt will be posted just before 6:30 p.m. (Expect delays entering the fairgrounds and aim to arrive at the fair by 6:15 p.m. so there’s a few minutes to hang out, meet new folks, etc.) We’ll start walking after the group photo.
NOTE: Meet *BEHIND* Big Tex! Look for the large rainbow umbrella. (You should see the heels of Tex's boots. NOT the side facing the toes of his boots.)
The map of the fair:
- 10 p.m. ‘til ??? For the night owls: Meet-up at Braindead Brewing in Deep Ellum for a “Neon-at-Night #PolaCrawl”— Open to the public; No RSVP required.